When selling your home there are two things you want to achieve: the best price possible and a quick sale. There are many ways you can achieve these goals including San Mateo home staging.
Staging your home in the correct way will help you get the sale plus in most cases, you will achieve a higher price than a home that wasn’t staged.
What does home staging involve?
Should you stage the home yourself or hire a professional?
The answers to these questions and more will be answered in this guide. Read on to learn all you need to know about home staging.
What Should I Consider Before Hiring A San Mateo Home Staging Company?
Anyone can offer their services as a home stager as there are no official qualifications needed. How then can you choose the best person to help market your home? Here are some tips to picking a home stager:
- Do they have any qualifications? For example, are they an accredited estate agent or interior designer? If so, this shows they have knowledge and experience in real estate.
- Ask about their previous work. How long did homes they staged take to sell? If they have a quick turnaround, such as less than 30 days, this is a good indicator they know how to properly stage a home. You can also ask to see photos of previous homes they have staged.
- What type of homes have they staged previously? You want someone that understands the home you are selling. If you have a house but they have only sold apartments before, then they may not be the best choice.
- How much do they charge? It is important to know you can afford their fees.
- Ask to see proof of insurance. Stagers will be moving furniture in and out of the home which means an accident could happen. Check they have valid insurance to cover them.
- Could you do some of the work yourself? A good stager will be honest with you. For example, they may advise you to decorate a room yourself rather than charge you more. If there are some changes you can deal with, they should give you the option to handle it yourself.
- Ask if they have a preferred style. You want your home to appeal to as many people as possible, this means hiring a stager that will use a neutral approach with broader appeal.
How Does Home Staging Work?
Home staging is the art of making your home appeal to many potential buyers. It works by creating an emotional response in the viewer as they see the possibilities of your home and imagine their future lives living there.
To stage a home involves three simple steps
- The home stager will assess your property
- Next, a plan is agreed
- The home stager sets up your home according to the plan, this may involve furniture, works of art, or other accessories
How Much Does Home Staging Cost?
Costs for home staging vary but for starters, the initial consultation may cost between $300 and $600. You can then expect to pay between $500 and $600 per month for each room staged. New digital staging technology exists to significantly reduce staging costs. Read more about it here.
Additionally, some home stagers require you to agree to a minimum contract regardless of how quickly the property sells.
You may be thinking that this sounds expensive and is home staging worth it? Well, paying bills for a property can become much more expensive, if the home stager helps you sell the property quicker, then it may be worth it.
One other option to consider is just having a consultation. For a one-off fee, the home stager can advise you on the steps to take to make your property more appealing. You can then do the staging yourself if you are able to.
Home Staging Tips
There are many things you can do to perfectly stage your property. This section highlights the top tips for home staging.
Patch And Repair
A great way to help your property look great and well-maintained is to patch and repair. All you need to do is go around each room and check for damage. Fill in any cracks or holes and make sure any scuffs are dealt with.
Successfully staging the home means the buyer can envision themselves living there. Make sure it is stylish but remove personal items such as photos, clothes, and other personal effects. Keeping the house clear of your clutter makes it easier for the buyer to build a picture of themselves living in the property.
Get Rid Of Clutter
Making the home look spacious and roomy is a great way to attract buyers. Pack up your clutter to free up space around the home.
Stage Where It Counts
It is important to focus on the rooms that make a difference when selling a home. The three key rooms to stage are:
- Living room
- Master bedroom
Make sure these three rooms are staged to a high standard. That doesn’t mean you should ignore the rest of the property, you can still tidy everywhere but make sure these rooms get the best treatment.
Clear Odors And Make Your Home Smell Nice
When showing the property, you don’t want your hard work to be undone by a bad smell. Make sure you clean everywhere and empty any bins before a potential buyer visits. Another great tip is to have fresh flowers around the home or plug-in scents. This will give your home that wonderful fresh smell that can be very appealing.
Common Accessories A Home Stager Might Use
There is a huge range of items that could be used to stage a home. Some of the most common ones include:
- Fruit and flowers
- New bedding
- Background music
All of these accessories can provide that added touch of sparkle that your home needs to be more appealing.
Professional Home Staging Tips And Tricks
If you are trying to sell your home, you want to get the highest price possible and sell quickly. Using a professional home stager can help with this thanks to their expertise. A few tips home stagers use include:
- Clear outside. This could involve maintaining the garden, cleaning any paths, and painting the exterior of the property.
- Arranging furniture. A good home stager will be able to arrange furniture so that it enhances every room and makes it more inviting.
- Staging dining tables and outdoor areas. Setting up a great dining scene or outdoor scene can really add value to a viewing. A professional home stager will be able to set the scene and use a neutral tone. This helps appeal to more buyers as they can visualize themselves in the home.
Selling your home can sometimes be a stressful experience. To alleviate that stress, sell the home quicker, and achieve a higher price you should seriously consider using a professional San Mateo home staging company like Deja Blue Home Staging and Interior Design.
Full Service Home Staging
Trusted By Our Customers
Realtor for home in Los Altos Hills
New Realtor in Dublin
Realtor for Home in San Mateo